Saturday, June 20, 2009

Just Checking In...

I just wanted to check in and give a quick update.

I am in El Salvador. I arrived on Thursday. It gave Bethany (another MA with Convoy) and I a chance to set up everything for the first team. Jack Belin's team (a missionary with Convoy) came in on Friday and we got them working in the warehouse bagging food right away. Today we began the first day of ministry. We went to a school and to a community. In both places we did a presentation and distributed food. It was a long day, but a good day.

El Salvador is a pretty country. It is very green. Flying into San Salvador is pretty cool looking because it looks a little like a green bowl. There are alot of volcanoes here that make the land interesting to look at - you have big volcanoes, some crater lakes, and so forth. You also have the ocean here, which I have only seen from the air.

This morning we went to the warehouse to put the groceries in the truck for distribution. I decided that I needed to "powder my nose". When I returned just a few minutes later the warehouse was empty as I walked closer to the exit I realized the gate was closed and then as I got even closer I realized it was locked! I had been locked in the warehouse. I still needed to buy a sim card for my phone, so I couldn't call anyone, so I sat there for a minute trying to figure out what to do. Then I decided to hop the fence because at least then I would be able to get outside and maybe be able to call someone. So, I jumped the fence (in a skirt) and then waited until someone came along. There is a restaurant called Biggest here that allows Convoy to use part of their warehouse, so they had people working. Finally, an El Salvadoran offered me coffee and a phone. Eventually the group realized I was not in the bus and sent our truck driver to come get me! I made it safe and sound to the school, in time to practice some Spanish and eat lunch =) It was an adventure to say the least. I survived and better me get locked in the warehouse than a team member. =)

If you have a chance please pray that all the details will come together for the teams and things will go smoothly. Pray for strength for Bethany and I and for the nationals working with us. These days are long and there is alot to plan. Pray for protection and that God will work through the teams this summer!

I haven't taken any pictures yet, but they will come =)

No comments: