Wednesday, October 21, 2009

El Salvador!

Hi! It's been a long day, so I will post pictures later.  I just wanted to let you all know that I made it to El Salvador in one piece.  However my i-pod nano was stolen on the plane!  This was quite sad, though I'm more sad about losing my music and earphones.  Oh well - this is life sometimes! 

I am working with a women's ministries team from the Potomac District.  We have painted classrooms, cleaned floors, eaten tortillas, played with children, set up a teachers quarters, visited a refugee camp and so on.  Friday, we have an open house for the community and families.  The Women's Ministries has poured alot of money and time into this school in a rural community of El Salvador.  It will truly be a blessing to the teachers and students!

I have had fun using my spanish, playing with children and eating the food of El Salvador.  There are certain foods that are just hard to get in the states like papaya, mangos, pupusas, plantains, certain cookies, and so forth.  I've had the opportunity to pray for a couple El Salvadorian ladies dealing with health issues.  I can't wait to post some of my pictures to share with you of some of the kids who I have become friends with and the children I visited with at the Refugee Camp here in El Salvador.  I even got a loofah from a little girl today!  I wonder what customs will think of that - ha! 

Anyhow I am going to go - I need to clean my room and go to bed - Its late and it was a long day.  I pray all is well with you!  Everytime I hug a child, everytime I pray with a little old lady, everytime I paint a school wall it's because of your faithfullness and support.  In a way it's you hugging that child, and you praying for the little old lady, and you painting a school.  May you be blessed today!

Claire Balch

No comments: