Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Hard Questions... Plus some Fun Pictures =)

I woke up today with the sun. Every weekend, since I have arrived in Costa Rica, has been this way. I haven't slept past 7:00. I also go to bed early almost every night. The pace of life here is very different. I really enjoy being in bed by 10:00pm and waking up around 7:00am (though this blog plus The Office episode I want to watch will keep me up later tonight =) ). This morning I got up and made myself some green tea. I sat in a rocking chair and finished a chapter in this book I have been reading for awhile for called the Signature of Jesus by Brennan Manning. The point of the book is learning about having faith and passion for Christ. It is an interesting book. I always feel like I have something to chew on afterwards.

The chapter I read this morning was called Discipleship Today. He focused on three areas in "Jesus's life and teaching" and their relevance to us (pg. 89). The three areas were: 1) Jesus lived for God 2) Jesus lived for others and 3) The simplicity of life. In the first area Brennan Manning speaks of the importance of centering yourself in God daily. The second area is how Jesus looked past the surface of sneers, saddness, arrogance and so forth. Jesus read the hearts of people and discerned their pasts. Thirdly Jesus lived simply. We cannot let the complexities and distractions of life get in the way of our relationship with God.

I can't say I agreed with every idea or thought presented in this chapter. I do think that these three main points are good to think upon. Good to ask ourselves the questions such as "Am I living for God?" If I am not who am I living for?" "Am I keeping an attitude of prayer through out my day, so that I can keep focused on who and what is important?" How do I deal with the stresses in my life?" Am I loving (or at least trying) to love and see people the way God does?" "Am I helping the orphans and widows?" "Am I loving that person who is impossible to get along with?" Am I letting the outside clutter get in the way of my quiet time with God?" "Am I letting my job, what I own, what I wear, who I hang out with, what church I go to, and so forth define who I am or do I let God define who I am?" "What's more important to me the things of this world or God?" ..... I believe these are questions we all need to ask of ourselves. Everyone from the new to the old Christian has their moments. We are all human. We are all a work in progress. So, as we ask ourselves the hard questions, we also need to remember that in God grace is found. So, as we repent and confess, we do not have to dwell there. It is also important to remember that faith and change is a journey.

As Manning writes: "The early days of this discipline are awkard, painful, and rewarding. Awkard because it requires vigilance and discipline Painful because the lapses and relapses are frequent. (When we slip and forget God's presence within, it is self defeating to spend time in regrets and self-condemnation. We begin anew right where we are; offer this broken worship to Jesus Christ, and thank him for the grace to center down once again.) Finally, it is rewarding because life lived in the inner sanctuary is the abundant life that Jesus promised" (pg 90-91).




An old Catholic church built by Spain

Papaya from the Feria (fruit market)

The Feria

I learned how to make Ceviche con Platano today. We had it last night with rice and chicken. I thought it tasted like a salsa and would be perfect with corn chips. So, guess what I am bringing to the Super Bowl party tomorrow...



Me...The picture is kind of dark, but here I am learning how cut platanos and make Ceviche con Platanos. I love cooking, so this was fun. Plus, food is an important part of culture and thus a part of the adapting process.

1 comment:

justKarolyn said...

Hi Claire! So good to hear from you & see some pictures. I love the ones of the papaya! (I could eat that everyday!) I also loved the excerts from Brennan Manning's book, especially about how Jesus looked past the sneers, sadness, arrogance,... of others, & read their hearts, discerning their pasts. Oh to be more like Jesus! Loving through the insults; responding with blessings, when hurt. (1 Pt. 3:8-12) Well, I look forward to more blogs from you, Claire-bear. Love & miss you, Aunt Karolyn (we're going over to see Caleb's new little one tonight for the first time!)