Sunday, July 19, 2009

Intern Adventures

On Sunday I packed my bags from the lovely Santa Elena Hotel and moved into a hostel with the interns. It was a bit of a change, but included nice walks to the gas station for my morning coffee, a weekend at the beach for rest and relaxation, and ministry in Perulapia.
The interns have been spending one week in different cities in El Salvador. They are going to three cities in total. Each week they do presentation in the same school about physical, emotional and spiritual health and then also have presentations for the parents at the local church. So, myself and my co-worker Bethany have been supporting another co-worker Shannon as she leads the interns.

I made friends with a little boy at the church. I supported his gum habit - I went through my Trident Watermelon flavored gum very quickly this week. It was funny he was always asking me for gum and would ask for gum and then would show me his fingers to show how much he wanted. I also became friends with his aunt, who is 22 and attends the university. I sat down and talked to her for an hour - talk about stretching my Spanish! One of the nice thing about being in a place for a week were the relationships I was able to build.

Then we ended the week off with taking the team of interns to a house on the beach. We weren't quite sure what to expect and when the road turned to dirt and we were in the middle of sugar cane, we really weren't sure what to except. When we arrived at the house it was well worth the adventure of getting there. Beach front property, hammocks, good food, and a swimming pool all for the cost of the hostel! It was great weekend for the morale and health of the team. Now we are ready for the week ahead in San Ramon!

Pray for the interns in San Ramon this week. They have a very full schedule and need lots of energy physically, emotionally and spiritually. Pray for the students in the schools, and the parents at the church. Bethany travels back on Wednesday and I travel back on Thursday. Pray for traveling protection!

Thank you to everyone who is praying for me and for faithful financial support!

Claire

2 comments:

Jessika Wilson said...

Great photos and nice to hear that you are sharing your watermelon gum :) Such a giver. xoxoxo

Claire Balch Barmby said...

Ha Ha... It was hard to share, but I managed =)