Friday, March 5, 2010

An International Camping Trip

I am on a plane headed to El Salvador. Internet on planes is quite amazing - however sometime after crossing outside the US boundaries I will lose internet access. Hopefully not mid sentence =). My travel schedule these last few months has been unbelievable. Even the three weeks I spent in El Salvador was spent traversing the country visiting schools. The schedule has made my blogging sporadic. I will try to get it back on schedule.


My most recent trip was to Panama. It was a blast. I came back under the weather with a cold, sore throat and most recently a strange stomach. Despite that the trip was a bit refreshing. It was something different and didn’t have the same stresses as other parts of my job. It was a week spent camping with the Guayami Indians. The AG National Church of Panama organizes an annual Family Camp for this indigenous group. Some of the families walk for a week just to be there. One woman gave birth, while at camp. I would imagine for a woman to leave home that near to time of birth that the event must be really important to her.

In the mornings the National Church held devotionals for the Guayami Indians and every evening there was a service. In between there were classes, lunch and swimming in the river. I attended a couple of evening services and the other nights I helped with bagging the food that was going to be distributed at the end of the week. One evening it down poured. I was soaked to the bone after making sure all the food was covered up. It wasn't Missouri winter rain, but Panama dry season rain, so I survived and didn't die of frostbite =). On Friday the Panamanians from the cities, a church from Kansas, Bethany Thompson and I distributed the food and clothes to 1000 plus families. We had to leave for Panama City after the distribution, but after we left people were baptized in the river.

I hope all is well in your lives. I encourage you to be a light in the darkness today. Live free and live well. Live in forgiveness, love, mercy and grace!

 

No comments: