Saturday, April 24, 2010

Reporting from Nicaragua

I flew into Managua, Nicaragua Sunday night.  I am working with the AG Missionaries Bonnie and Levys Hernandez.  I took Monday to hang and get to know Bonnie and their two girls and Tuesday hit the ground running! Seven of the LACC schools have a nutrition program here and the Hernandez's hope to expand the program as well as build latrines and water purification systems in the country. 

Latrines and water purification actually go hand in hand because a bad latrine or using a river as a bathroom is one of the causes of unpure water (hence why I got sick after bathing in the river in Panama for a week =) ).  So, if we can have a clean latrine situation we can help purify the water, but at the same time, we want to purify the water that is still unclean either for other reasons or because someone else is using the river as a bathroom. This week we focused on the LACC schools.  We measured students where the program is currently at and measured students at potential new schools.   I also helped with renewing sponsorship photos.  These pictures have to be retaken every two years.  I am a bit tired because I'm not use to heat, but I am enjoying my time here.  I haven't taken any pictures yet, but above is a picture of a volcano, at the end of the blog is a map of Nicaragua and to the side is a flag from a yahoo image search. 


Lastly, I want to leave you with a verse I read the other day.  "And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him" 2 Corinthians 3:18.  I encourage you to become more like Christ today. God takes us as we are and where we are - loving us unconditionally.  However, He does desire for us to grow and mature in our faith in him! Let him change your heart and mind - working towards becoming brighter and more beautiful.



No comments: