Monday, May 24, 2010

Life in Nicaragua =)


Goodmorning!  After a few days back in the states, I have arrived again in Nicaragua.  Actually, I arrived last Tuesday night.  The time in the states was fun and I had a good visit. I visited with family, saw my sister and brother in-law graduate from college, took a road trip from Missouri to California and along the way saw both the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas, and most importantly Derek made our engagement official with a ring.  My mom threw a wonderful party for us and then I was off again...well almost. I missed my Monday morning flight, so I had to pay a hefty sum and then I left on the same flight, but on Tuesday morning.

Ahorita (Now), I am back in Nicaragua.  Since, I have been back, I have been working on spreadsheets that contains the data of the nutritional states of the children in the seven feeding programs they have here in Nicaragua.  On Saturday, I was also able to particiapte in two food distributions.  On Sundays, I attend a start up church.  Currently, we meet in the home of a missionary, but in the next few weeks I believe we will be moving to a different building.  I enjoy the church and being part of something new.   

I live in a training center owned by Assemblies of God World Missions.  It is a school during the day, a place for teams to stay, a place for nationals to have bibical training and spiritual growth, and a place for MAP workers and Missionary Assocates to live, while they are working here.  Currently, I live in a dorm converted into a studio, but next weekend I will move into one of the apartments in the facility.  Today, mostly I wanted to share with you a little about life here and some pictures.  Below, I have pictures of me playing soccer with kids, children eating during a feeding program, pictures of the distribution and some pictures of my living quarters.  


This is my kitchen.  It consist of a refigerator, water dispenser, toaster, coffee maker and an electric skillet.  Last time I cooked on it I cooked in the hall, so my whole room wouldn't smell like egg.  I learned my lesson from the first time I cooked on the electric skillet =).  The kitchen does the job for a me, since I usually don't need to cook much.  It is a nice little set up they created for me!



My kitchen sink is also my bathroom sink.  So, here I am last night cleaning my spinach.  I also cleaned some apples, lettuce, mangos and so on.  For the first time ever I cleaned my vegetables with some bleach water.  I usually just use water or dish soap.  I guess I like to live on the edge sometimes... =)




The hardest decision I have to make every day - What shower to shower in?  I have so many options =). 










Here I am playing soccer with some children at a school in Nicaragua.  I love the grimace on my face in this picture =). 








The following pictures are from the distribution on Saturday. 




This picture I just wanted to share - This is right after Derek proposed. It was a little dark, but I played around with the photo a little bit and I think it works. 

Lastly, I took this picture of my Dad at the Grand Canyon and I just think it is a cool shot. 

No comments: