Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mud and Shoelessness

My alarm this morning went off nice and early at 5:20 am. I rolled out of bed a few minutes earlier and got myself ready for the day. About an hour later my ride came and I was off to visit a community. We eventually turned off onto a dirt road and this is when I asked where we were going. Sometimes, I lose some information in translation. So, I thought we were going to a city called Leon and I knew this dirt road wasn't heading towards Leon (either that or some sort of short-cut I had never been on). We were headed towards a city called San Francisco and later I would learn that the actual community was called Santa Maria.


I was with two other Convoy of Hope staff here in Nicaragua. We drove about an hour or so before we met up with the pastor of the community. We then proceeded to drive another thirty or forty minutes down another dirt road and we took it until the road was impassable. We drove through mud, holes and very, very, big puddles! On the way the Pastor told us that during the rainy season life is very complicated in this community. The road is often covered with water. This water contaminates their wells and makes their water dirty. It also makes their roads impassable; meaning the trucks they sell wood to cannot get through. Selling wood is their main source of income.


We finally arrived and I wished I had tennis shoes on instead of sandals. The area was a mud bowl. The truth is I was lucky to have sandals. I saw several women and children who were barefoot, standing in mud. We eventually were able to share with the people about Christ and distribute the bags of food. It is just a small little bit of food in the scheme of the things, but I hope it serves as an encouragement to the people of this village.



Many people here in Nicaragua live in homes that really don't offer much protection from the elements, so the rainy season means a constant drenching. Maybe next time you invest in a new pair of shoes think instead of investing in a not for profit that donates shoes or maybe investing in a pair of Toms. Today pray for those who are missing the basic needs - food, water, shoes, and clothes. Remember them in the way you spend your money and in the way you give. Don't take for granted your shoes, your closet, your home and the food you eat. Love God and then love your neighbor.

No comments: