Monday, July 5, 2010

State of the Heart #1

For the last few months I've been contemplating on this word we like to use in church called "calling".  I think often this word is translated into our lives as "doing".  Calling becomes this thing that some Christians become obessed with - saying "I'm looking for my calling", "I'm not sure I'm called to do that"or asking "What is your calling?". Christians fret and worry, so much about this word "calling".  I too have gotten caught up in this at times. 

There are even Christian kids in college who will change universities three times or change majors five times all saying that God called them to change everytime (now I know God does ask us to make life changes and only that person can ultimately stand responsible to God, but also I don't think God is not a God of disorder and 5 majors in 4 years is a bit disorderly....).  The Church (at least the United States church) gets hung up on this word "calling".  It becomes about what you "do".  Not that God doesn't give us certain passions or doesn't ask us to make certain career choices, ultimately though I believe that God cares more about how you live than what you do.

Christ would rather have a hard working, honest, God listening, kind, business man than a pastor who uses his position to empower himself, and is mean and angry (and in the meantime turns people off to God).  God wants us to live in a way that represents him.  He wants his followers to first love HIM and then love their neighbor.  I think it time for the church to take the pressure of this word "calling" and instead encourage the members to live lifes that represent Christ.  As Christians we shouldn't fret and worry, but instead have faith, trust and hope.  In saying this I am not saying that we should ignore God in our career choices, God should always be the first in our decision making. I am saying that maybe God cares more about the state of your heart than your career choice. 





My first try ever at homemade tortillas.  Masa, water and a little salt.  They don't look too pretty, but they taste good, though not quite the same.  I think a tortilla press might make the job a little easier, I don't know how they make tortillas perfectly round just using their hands!  Lots of practice I suppose =).  One thing I have done alot here is practice making foods from region.  I made beans from the grain, cooked yuca, fried a ripe plantain (my next project is cooking a green plantain) and so forth.

1 comment:

justKarolyn said...

Great word, Claire! So true. We are all called to first love God with all our heart, soul, mind, strength, and then love others as we love ourselves. That's what we are called to do; all of us. In whatever stage of life, we are all full-time ministers, representing the One who came, lived, died, and lives again. We all fall short of this calling yet the One who calls us gives us multiple chances to start over! In our weaknesses His strength shines through! It's a daily deal. Thanks so much for your very relevant word. love you!