Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Guatemala and some Reflections...

I am currently in Guatemala City, Guatemala for Semana Santa. I am here with my friends Krystal and Dawn visiting her parents. I am sipping tea, which is my favorite activity while writing blogs. I believe that blogs and tea or blogs and coffee belong together. Dinner has been made, eaten and cleaned up. I just finished up my after dinner cookie and am still sipping on the tea. Its been a good time just to relax, learn about Guatemala and hang out with my friends. I have also been able to experience bastante (enough) earthquakes and see some lava flowing. It has been eventful to say the least.

Something that I have been thinking about lately is how so many Psalms and other praises of God in the Bible are descriptions of God's character. As I have been reading them I have been thinking "Wow this is what we as Christians should really be striving to live like". As Christ followers we should mimic the characteristics of Jesus Christ. Psalms 146, for instance, "...He always does what he says - he defends the wronged, he feeds the hungry. God frees prisoners - he gives sight to the blind, he lifts up the fallen. God loves good people, protects strangers, takes the side of the orphans and widows, but makes short work of the wicked." The first part of this passage it says, "my soul, praise God!" and that we need to put our life in God's hands. The second part, that I wrote out, explains why and it praises God character. These very characteristics that we worship God for having, we need to reflect in our own lives. As God defends the wronged and he feeds the hungry, so we need to defend the wrong and feed the hungry and so on. The Bible is not just a book to be read and Christianity is not supposed to be lived out on a pew. So, as you praise God and as you read the psalms and other praise passages meditate on God's character and what you as a child of God can do to reflect him.
Krystal, Dawn and I at the top of a Mayan Ruin
Mangos
Maya Indian weaving
Guatemalan children in a market
Krystal, Dawn and I in typical Guatemalan Indian wear

1 comment:

Matt said...

You're in Guatemala? COOL! Are you getting to Antigua? It's one of my favorite places in the world.

We're not far away. Our trip to C*** was abruptly cancelled and we're in the midst of Plan B. We're currently in San Salvador and will travel by bus to Guatemala City on Monday.

Will you either still be there, or coming through San Salvador on your way? You should stop by...would be a blast. We're here in Bethany, Chad, Karen, and 4 other team members.

Hope it could work...

Matt