Sunday, May 3, 2009

One Heart, One Mind...

I am sipping Ginger Green Tea in Springfield, Missouri this morning. I am half moved into Sarah's apartment. My belongings are sitting in her apartment in boxes and bags. Tomorrow I will be back in the Convoy of Hope office. The current plan is that I will head to El Salvador in June and then will leave at the end of July for Santa Cruz, California for my sisters wedding. This will close up my first year with Convoy. That is a few months off and I am excited about what God has is in store for this summer and the work to be done in El Salvador.

I am reading Acts. I started reading it sometime earlier this week. I like reading about the church in those days and weeks after the resurection and ascension. The movement of the Holy Spirit. The open giving and sacrificing. Though even in this "congregation of believers...united as one - one heart, one mind" there was Ananias and Sapphira who thought they could trick God. They sold their land and in an attempt to look "godly and sacrificing" they told Peter that they were giving all their money from the sell to the church. The truth was that they had kept some of the cut of the land to themselves. Ananias and Sapphira were served justice by God.

In our lives let us not live like Ananias and Sapphira. Let us remember the other early church members such as Barnabas. Let us try to live in unity and harmony, let us give when we need to give (both in physical things and politics within the church), and let not a person among us be needy. May our lives be an incredible witness of Christ and his tremendous sacrifice. (drawn from The Message, Acts 4 and 5).

Be Blessed and Live in His Love!

1 comment:

justKarolyn said...

Welcome back to the states, Claire! You make me want to go fix myself some tea. (I think I'll make it coffee, though.) Funny though, I've been thinking about getting into the book of Acts lately. It's always a good reminder of how we should look as a church. Love you! I look forward to seeing you in the summer.